Update: The victim of the fatality crash in the 2500 block of W. Kearney has been identified as Michelle McCown, 43, of Springfield. Her next of kin has been notified. The vehicle involved was a 2005 Buick Century driven by Johnnie Elliot, 70, of Willard. The crash reconstruction investigation is ongoing.
Original release: At approximately 11 a.m. today, Springfield police were dispatched to a vehicle versus pedestrian crash in the 2500 block of W. Kearney Street. Two females were attempting to cross the roadway northbound while on foot. A vehicle was traveling eastbound in the inside lane. One of the female pedestrians, a 43-year-old female, attempted to run across the lane and was struck by the eastbound vehicle. She was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead. Next of kin have not been notified at this time. The driver of the vehicle is cooperating with this ongoing investigation, and there are no indicators of driver impairment being a factor in the crash. The roadway will remain blocked for eastbound traffic while the investigation is conducted.
# # #
Case number: 16-17641
Media Contact: Lisa Cox, Public Affairs Officer
Release authorized by: Lt. Stacey Parton
- Missouri Police Chief of the Year – Paul Williams - May 4, 2016
- 2016 Polar Plunge Springfield - May 4, 2016
- Springfield Police, Art Museum News Conference - May 4, 2016
- Missing person case comes to a close - May 4, 2016
- January assault turns to homicide investigation - May 4, 2016
- Springfield Police Department releases Quarterly Public Safety Report - May 4, 2016
- Fatality pedestrian crash - May 4, 2016
- Coffee with the Chief tomorrow - May 4, 2016